Sunday, January 13, 2013

A fowl mood and a time for a solo hunt.

January 12, 2013, met with myself, my dad and a friend hitting my favorite goose hunting spot, long over due, after limited birds in the area early in the season, the local farm pond had frozen solid for a good period of time when the geese finally arrived.  Finally, a recent string of warm weather thawed the pond and it was time to hunt.  The warm streak had peaked in the 50's and a massive cold front was on its way with a huge drop in temperature and snow/ice predicted after dark.

The day started out rough as I had to pass on the morning hunt for other duties and a quick scouting run showed several birds loafing on the pasture grass on the pond.  Luckily they were gone when we arrived to hunt at 1:00 P.M. and we set up quickly for the evening.  The hunt started out promising as a group of six honkers appeared from the east and locked up on the decoys.  Unfortunately we were caught with our blinds open, and though they locked up and gave us a couple looks, they decided to head for greener pastures.  The rest of the day we were entertained by several small groups of honkers but nothing that wanted to play.  With the temps dropping and the north wind howling, I figured the birds were more interested in corn than pasture grass.  We ended the night being buzzed by a flock of specks as we picked up decoys, and I growled under my breath as I have never had even a chance to shoot one.  I thought of my good friend and fowling partner Carl who has been at it for many more years than I, and also has not shot a speck.

Plans were in the works for day 2, but it all depended on the weather we were going to end up with.  Carl was out for day 2 and my dad was unsure.  I decided late that night that I would go at it alone if no one could make it due to the weather and I had reached that point that I am sure many of you get where time alone in nature is healing, and relaxing.  I did not set an alarm, and awakened to a light layer of ice on the ground and howling winds, 23 degree temperature.  Dad confirmed he was out, so I took time at home with the family, cooked a big breakfast, and then headed out.

I was questioning my judgment as the bitter north winds bit at any exposed skin, and I chuckled under my breath that I was piling out all these decoys for "my two geese."  I decided after getting the blind in place along the water's edge and the decoys set I would take a quick ride around and see where the birds were flying.  Typically my spot is a mid morning spot where the birds come after hitting the fields.  I was disappointed with what I saw, very few birds in the air anywhere, but I decided to suck it up and headed to the blind.

The first sign of anything alive was faint honks of a distant flock of Canada geese that I could barely hear through the strong winds....but it gave me a slight bit of hope that something might happen.  I eased back in my blind and reflected on all the special memories I had made in this spot.  My ole dawg Maggie that had passed last February, the hunts with friends, and the crazy things the honkers do.  While texting with my friend Carl who was under the weather, he jokingly made a comment about me shooting a speck for him, and it brought a smile to my face.  No way I will shoot a speck on a farm pond in the middle of nowhere, I thought.

I was snapped back to attention when a nice bunch of 30 birds appeared to the west, 10 birds broke off and locked up on the spread, but despite cruising directly over me, and my best attempts on the calls to convince em to come, they decided the corn was a better option and disappeared over the hillside.

Just seven minutes later, I was in the process of texting my wife, when I glanced to my right and saw 10 geese locked up on my decoy spread....they were only 100 yards out and locked up, wing tip to wing tip!!!  I never even touched the call, as they banked out in front of me and dipped into the wind, they began losing altitude...50 yards, 40, 30, 20 yards!!! I was thinking about letting them land and then all in a split second a bunch of things happened...1.  I noticed a barred chest a bird at the lead...2. my brain screamed HOLY CRAP ITS AS SPECK!!!, 3. the birds began to flare...4. I panicked and threw the doors open.  In the next split second I fired three shots blindly into the grey sky and watched "my speck" fly right back out of my life!  A quick text to the only guy that could truly understand and then I was left alone to wallow in my thoughts.

I literally had less than 10 minutes to kick myself around when a large group of 30+ birds mixed little geese and big geese came across the field and banked 300 yards out and began locking up!  As I was watching them a group of four cut between the big flock and my spread and turned and locked up.  Fighting the heavy wind the fell slowly before suddenly "maple leafing" and dumping air right into range and before I knew it they were 15 yards out, being a  little gun shy after the miss, I didn't throw the doors open and they picked up and flew behind me.  I gave them a few quick clucks and the next thing I hear is squeaking wings, followed shortly by four geese flying over my blind at 5 feet high!  They cupped into the water and I threw the doors open, killing the second bird, and as I tried for the double the empty shell did not eject cleanly and the remaining three escaped.

Just 5 minutes later, and I hear a honk to my west, shortly after a pair appears over the hill flying south of the pond.  I hit them with the call and they immediately turn and lock up, falling all the way to 15 yards, just off the water and I was able to finish my limit with one shot.  As I looked at the two geese floating with the wind...I got a little misty eyed, as I thought of how much Maggie would have loved to dive in and pick up my birds.  It was a bitter sweet day, but after a year that has been almost non existent in honker opportunities...I will take it.

The speck was not to be but the canadas did not disappoint!

No comments:

Post a Comment