Friday, April 20, 2012

Youths and Turkey Hunting - A good intro to the woods!!!

As a father of two sons and a brother that introduced a younger sibling to hunting, I have listened closely to any advice out there about introducing kids to the outdoors.  It seems the best advice obviously came from those that have been there and done that.  Through my experiences with my brother Alex, and my son Cannon who has been hitting the woods with dad since age 2, I offer up reasoning as to why I believe turkeys may be the best situation for introducing a young future hunter.  I am thankful to those that have passed on their experiences through success and failure and though I am far from accomplished, with my son only being six now, I have learned a multitude of lessons in the few years he has tagged along.  Following is my suggestions for introducing your young hunter to the great outdoors through turkey hunting.

Now I wouldn't say its a bad idea to introduce a youngster to the outdoors through deer, or waterfowl hunting, in fact if your not a turkey hunter I would certainly encourage you to get those kids outdoors in any way you can.  However, in my experience it simply is a smoother transition in the spring turkey season.  Much of the same reasoning applies here as it does to why I believe any new hunter should start with turkeys...first and foremost, the weather is typically enjoyable, the timber is beautiful in the spring, and typically, your shots are stationary shots, that are usually preceded by a prep time. The gear needed is limited and available everywhere, and on a good day the audio feedback from the birds is unmatched in my opinion.  Furthermore, the art of calling turkeys is, in my opinion, one of the easiest to become proficient enough to be effective in most situations.  My six year old is quite capable of calling for me and in fact called a jake in for his mother when he was five.  I am not bragging him up here, as he has the typical patience of a 5 or 6 year old and does not always follow my directions, and can sometimes sound more like a flock of chickens than a hen turkey..  As I will point out though, it is quite enjoyable to let it be his hunt and let him call.

Even as I see a story this morning of a seven year old young man shooting his first turkey, I am not suggesting you hurriedly get your child behind the gun and make it about pulling the trigger here, I am talking about my son having seen many birds come to the gun and the bow over the years, before he ever has the option to take a gobbler on his own.  I will not pass judgment on those that put their kids out there shooting at 6 or 7 or even younger, it is just my personal belief that they should understand what is going on and learn to respect the game before they start killing. 

There are many steps to taking a young hunter to the timber that need to be thought out ahead of time.  Things I learned from experience such as the first time a young man or woman steps foot in the woods...in the dark.  A simple thing for the experienced hunter, but quite overwhelming to a four year old, or in my experience even a 14 year old who has never experienced coyotes howling in the pre-dawn darkness.

Next, ego's have to stay at the house.  The hunt must be about the youth.  I received great advice over the years from my mentors regarding kids in the outdoors.  The most important being, it should be their hunt.  Go when they want to go, leave when they want to leave.  Never make a child go to the woods, talk it over the night before and give them the option to get up or not that next morning.  Encourage them to LOOK AT GAME...again the ego thing...all you waterfowlers have seen it or done it...telling a new hunter or youth to keep their head down, and hide their face leading to the people hiding missing the best part...BEFORE the guns go off.  For turkeys I would recommend a face mask or face paint (big hit for a kid), and tell them to watch the bird.  If they spook it they spook it, it isn't about finishing the deal at this point.  Another huge success, which again I credit my mentors with, is for the kids to have their own "gear".  My son has his own bag, his own flashlight, and matching gear just like dads.  It is the highlight of a lot of trips when Cannon notices something in the timber, and he has the "gear" to deal with it, such as a pair of binoculars a pair of pruners, etc.

Another great addition to the gear bag for my son was a cheap digital camera.  You would be surprised at some of the great pictures they take, and it entertains them a lot! Of course comfort is important.  Snacks and drinks are primary commodities!  Do not be afraid to bring a portable game system (with ear phones).  I have found on the cooler mornings, an over sized adult coat makes a great "full body" parka in the pop up blind.  Of course the pop up blinds have revolutionized the youth hunting for both deer and turkeys.  I have a carpet I bring for the "floor" and my son spends a lot of time playing trucks on the floor.  If I see something interesting, I whisper to him and he checks it out.  Avoiding any boredom, and still introducing him to the pleasures of the outdoors.  The blinds conceal most of the movement, and a lot of the sound that comes from a youngster.  I have learned to set up in areas where we can see approaching game for a while, such as a field edge.  One quick lesson learned and passed on...practice in the yard, find a chair and gear that fits the child, or they will not enjoy the hunt.  If they can't see out of the blind, what's the point?

Finally, I return to my point about making the hunt about the youth.  If he decides he wants to get out of the blind and walk, we go exploring.  If he wants to leave 30 minutes before prime time, we head for the truck.  I once commented to Cannon when he was three, on a deer hunt, that we couldn't leave just yet because there was a small buck in front of us and we needed the deer to leave before we left the blind.  The next thing I know, he is unzipping the blind and headed out in the field...to scare the deer away so we can leave, in his mind, he fixed dad's problem. If I had been mad at him for that, it would have totally changed his outlook on hunting.

A second finally? VERY IMPORTANT: Whatever game you are hunting, if there is a gun involved...PROTECT THEIR EARS!!!  I cringe every time I see youngsters going along with dad and a shotgun and no hearing protection.  Coming from a guy that has permanent ear damage...if you ring your ears or theirs...it is hearing lost.  Get them some ear muffs that fit or comfortable ear plugs...and practice with them, make sure they know what the gun will sound like, and what to expect.  

With a six year old and a 4 month old, I am constantly learning from my kids.  I make an effort to involve them in everything outdoors, but it is their option.  Sometimes I find they teach me more than anyone.  So if you haven't already, please take your kids to the woods on a spring hunt, if you use some of the tips above and learn from your children, I am sure you will find it a rewarding experience!

Cannon and Mom



No comments:

Post a Comment