Friday, April 26, 2013

Sometimes when the plan doesn't work...it makes for an awesome hunt!

April 26, 2013, found me on a long solitary walk from the truck to my planned hunting area, with nothing but the sound of my boots hitting the ground and the occasional robin singing to keep me company.  My thoughts raced as I packed my way across field roads, corn stubble and old pasture ground.  The plan was simple, I had roosted a bird the morning before, he was the only bird gobbling and he was close to an area I could hunt.  I got close enough to hear at least one hen fly down so I knew it would be tough, but I was sure if I could get in sight of him, the decoys and the calls would do the job and draw him through a 3 strand fence to my waiting gun.

I walked as if on egg shells as I took every precaution during set up, thinking the bird was just across the corner of a bean stubble field.  Well before light he sounded off....several hundred yards away on the opposite side of the field.  I remained optimistic knowing he flew down the field I was set up on yesterday and I had a little secret weapon with me, a new striker that showed up on more door step just two days prior to the hunt.  A friend of mine had turned a hedge striker with a topper that looked like a duck call.  The striker not only looked great, it backed its looks up with sweet sounds.

As the darkness faded I pulled the new striker out and hit a light series of yelps on the slate.  The bird immediately answered me.  For the next 15 minutes he gobbled regularly to my tree calls, but at fly down time he went dead silent.  I held my ground for 30 minutes, knowing from experience he may be coming in silent, but it was not to be.  I packed up the gear and took a look across the field only to see a lone hen and no other birds in sight.  She appeared to be on a mission to get to nest so I presumed she may have left the gobbler high and dry, but he had yet to make a peep since fly down.

I headed across the farm, listening intently and hearing nothing, closing in on my favorite place on this particular farm, a small flat in the creek bottom bordered on one side by a deep ravine, one side by a deep creek with thick brush and a fence, and the remainder old pasture hillsides that fell down into this flat.  I knew from experience it would be a tough place to kill a bird, but from the day I first saw it I always wanted to kill one in that particular spot.  I had blown several mornings last year trying to get a gobbler to come from the neighbors field across the creek through the thick brush, over the creek, and over the fence, but my efforts proved futile.  So it was with little expectation that I set the decoys and settled in to relax, have a snack and enjoy the scenery...basically it was my thinking to sit and wait until I hear one gobble, then go after him.

Setting the scene, I have my back to the ravine/creek facing the small grassy flat with a couple high canopy walnut trees, almost like a park setting but with taller grass, with large rolling hills feeding down in front and to the left dropping into the bottom.  On my right is a fence, four feet of honey suckle bush, an extremely deep banked creek, another few feet of thick brush, and an open bottom field.

Expecting nothing...I hit the call and was immediately cut off by a loud gobble that made me want to duck for cover he was so close...I quickly gathered my wits, realized, I was already "covered up" and glanced to my right.  The bird had responded from only 75 yards across the creek in the open field.  Within a few seconds I could see him at 60 yards, walking along the field edge on the far side of the creek, weaving along the thick underbrush trying to get a glimpse of the hen he thought he heard.  I had intentionally placed the decoys in a spot that lined up with a area of the creek where the thick brush was...less thick...and with the late spring I felt any bird that crossed by MAY see the decoys and I was relying on the undeniable drawing power of ultra realistic decoys (DSD and Best Turkey Decoy), to do their job.

The bird continued along the field edge now directly to my right as he reached the gap in the thick brush I could see he had a long beard, and he immediately stopped and peered over at the decoys.  I could tell he saw them but he didn't turn towards me, instead he continued even faster up the field edge.  I hit the call very quietly and he immediately hammered back!  It seemed like forever and I had not heard him or seen him, my mind started racing, did he lose interest like all those birds last year, is this another "so close yet so far" scenario...before I could think anything else, I caught movement in the two foot section of thick brush between the fence and the drop off creek bank was big red, white and blue head bobbing through the thicket.  The bird worked up the fence and popped into strut 35 yards away as I eased my gun into position.  He eyeballed the decoys and then committed to crossing the fence.  His first attempt was quite comical as he tried to squeeze through a gap that was about 3" wide, before retreating, and trying again, this time he cleared the fence and popped into full strut immediately. 

I tried to control my breathing as he worked towards the decoys in full strut with the green grass and honeysuckle as a back drop, it was a picture perfect scene.  At 18 yards I found myself debating on whether I should let him get to the decoys or shoot him, I decided since the decoys were only about 12 yards, that I had better take him before he got too tight.  I took a breath and settled the bead on the base of his neck, while he continued walking in full strut directly at me...BOOOM!  He tipped over backwards and it was done that fast.  From the time he first gobbled to the shot was no more than 10 minutes, and I literally shouted despite being alone as I was thrilled with that bird anywhere, but to call him across two thickets, a deep creek, AND, a fence was a great feeling! 


2 comments:

  1. Another awesome right up, you got skills my man

    great job

    ReplyDelete
  2. Corey so glad you found my blog and directed me to yours. Will definitely keep in touch and check in when you post new stuff! Perhaps if you have any success this coming whitetail season we can link your story over on my site/blog as you also hunt what I categorize as small acres!

    ReplyDelete