Friday, October 12, 2012

The saving grace of a doe and herd management...

October 6, 2012 - Bowhunt report


After a slow couple hunts in the opening week, the first weekend of Illinois bow season met with cooler than average temperatures and perfect winds for me to slide into a stand I affectionately call the "hurt locker" due to a number of injuries that occurred to myself and my son while setting the stand in August.

Despite being skunked on 2 of my first 3 hunts the clear sky, 37 degree temp and steady west/nw winds had me optimistic.  As shooting time arrived and nothing was happening in the deer woods, my optimism began to wane a bit, but by 7:00 A.M. I had spotted my first movement.  A doe group moved across in front of me 100 yards out or so before turning and crossing the field I was set up on just out of range.  That opened the flood gates, as no more than 20 minutes went by at any one time without a deer sighting.  I had deer at all points of the compass around the stand, with a majority of antlerless deer being constantly harrassed by three smaller bucks that were chasing them all over the timber. On three occasions I came close to a shot but it just seemed like the deer wanted to cross into the timber just out of range.  This action continued through 10 a.m. when  doe and a very large button buck came in and bedded within 35 yards of the stand.  I watched them for 30 minutes before a doe I had not spotted walked in behind me and busted me moving, sounding the alarm they exited the area and I climbed down and snuck out in time to make a soccer game in town.  All tallied I had seen 30+ antlerless deer and 3 different bucks (some several times over the morning).

On the way out I scouted a sight closer to the days action for a climber and made a plan for the following morning.

October 7, 2012: The saving grace of a doe...

I enjoy every moment from first spotting a deer to watching that arrow disappear behind the shoulder and it matters not if it were a buck or a doe.  I set goals for myself of harvesting mature deer and not by score.  I consider myself an equal oppurtunity bowhunter, and I relish for the chance to kill those does for my freezer that my family enjoys so much throughout the year.  So this summer/early fall, I have monitored trail cameras heavily and on my in-laws farm where I spend most of my time, I have seen an alarming rate of almost 80 to 20 doe to buck percentage...that's 4-1 for those counting.  So with little or no mature bucks to speak of on camera or spotted, I set my heart on taking a mature doe with my new bow.

Climber in tow and another uncharacteristic 38 degree october morning, I settled in about 20 feet up in the tree I had scouted in the previous days hunt.  Unlike yesterday, the morning winds were non existent for the first hour, it was dead calm and relatively nothing was moving.  I finally spotted some does and a small buck from yesterday in the far end of the field.  This is the part I love about deer hunting.  It had been an hour since I saw or heard a thing and I was in the process of planning an early departure when I glanced up to see a doe headed directly at me on the field edge.  Perched above a dry slough 20 yards off the field edge, all I needed to do was stand up and wait.  My heart rate jumped up and my breathing coincided (doe fever I guess), as she closed the distance and stopped as I came to full draw.  The arrow found its mark and she crashed down just a 60 yards away.  Just like that the first deer of the year was down and the season was up and running with a great first week!

1st deer of 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment